I used to love my grandmother’s blonde brownies (we called them blondies or butterscotch brownies). I don’t have her exact recipe, but the one I use is similar. It is, unfortunately, really, really unhealthy. Today seemed like a good day to look for a healthier alternative that didn’t totally ruin these wonderful treats. Here are the two recipes I worked with and the results.
Blonde Brownies (Original-to-Me Recipe)
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Cream together margarine, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Combine with creamed butter-sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add nuts.
- Pour into greased and floured 7×11 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cut while slightly warm.
Healthier Blonde Brownies
*Based on the Best Healthier Blondie Recipe Ever.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients and set aside.
- In separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients except nuts.
- Combine dry and wet mixtures and mix well. Add nuts and mix in to incorporate.
- Spread into 8×8 greased pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes.
Admittedly, I didn’t make the originals for this blog but I made it not too long ago. The result was rich and indulgent blondie. Definitely gooey, they’re much more sticky than but not quite as dense as a fudge brownie. I used to be able to eat a lot of these in one sitting but I find them so sweet now that a small serving will do. I still love them.
The batter of the healthier version smelled surprisingly like the original when raw and while baking. The resulting blondie was much more light and crumbly. They were good. Definitely less buttery and less sweet than the original but a good alternative. I liked that these didn’t sit so heavily in my stomach. My vote is for the healthier version (but I’m not throwing out the original).
If you’re looking for this week’s schedule, it’s now available here.