National Love Your Pet Day
Monday, February 20, is National Love Your Pet Day! According to the ASPCA, about 37% to 47% of American households have dogs and 30% to 37% have cats. Clearly we love our pets.
Benefits of Pet Ownership
Owning a pet has many benefits.
- Increasingly, studies are showing that exposure to animals help reduce incidents of asthma and allergies in children;
- Having pets is a great way to connect to other people; and
- Pet ownership is calming, which can help reduce anxiety, depression, and loneliness, and lower blood pressure and triglyceride levels.
Ways to Celebrate
Pets do so much for us, so a day to do something for them makes sense. Here are a few ideas.
- If your pet loves a special treat, make or give them some;
- Take your pet on a long walk or special adventure;
- Make your cat or dog a toy;
- Simply give your fur-baby a little extra love and attention today; and
- If you don’t have your own pet, visit a shelter and play with and socialize the animals there.