March is Save Your Vision Month, so why not take a moment and try a little eye yoga? While exercising the muscles that control eye movement won’t correct common vision problems caused by misshapen or stiffening lenses or conditions like glaucoma and macular degeneration, it can be generally good to take a break from our computer and phone screens to strengthen eye muscles.
One simple way to practice eye yoga is to shift the eyes as if looking at each number on a giant clock face. Here’s the how to.
- Sit upright with a long spine and relaxed breath. Soften the muscles in your eyes and face.
- Without moving your head, direct your gaze toward the ceiling to the 12 o’clock position.
- Slowly circle your eyes in a clockwise direction, tracing as large a circle as possible, pausing briefly at each hourly position.
- Repeat three times, then close the eyes and relax.
- Repeat the movement three times in a counterclockwise direction.